Park Pavilion 55 Pavilion Crescent
The pavilion burned to the ground in an early morning fire on May 27, 1929. The
Parks Board responded quickly by commissioning local architects Northwood and
Chivers to design a new pavilion. On May 29, 1930 the new pavilion was opened.
Bank of Nova Scotia
(A.A. Heaps Building) 254-258 Portage Avenue
Located outside the perimeters of Bankers Row, the bank selected a location at
the corner of Portage and Garry with an aim to attract the Portage Avenue businessmen.
Paris Building 259 Portage Avenue
The Paris Building was once described as Winnipeg’s “most elegantly
clothed steel frame skyscraper”. The building was erected in two stages
with the first five storeys in 1915, and the upper six in 1917.
276 Portage Avenue
Originally Winnipeg's first YMCA, this building was purchased
and renovated by the Henry Birks & Sons jewellery store.
384 Portage Avenue
Designed by John D. Atchison, the Boyd Building was
located at the western periphery of the downtown district
until the Hudson’s Bay store extended the district
further in 1925.
Hudson's Bay Company
In an effort to compete with the T. Eaton Company who had
built their eight storey modern facility on Portage Avenue,
the Hudson's Bay Company committed $5,000,000 to build a
flagship store on the corner of Portage Avenue and Memorial
(University of Winnipeg)
515 Portage Avenue
Wesley College (Wesleyan Methodist) incorporated in 1877, and the first classes
opened in the fall of 1888 in Grace Church on Notre Dame Avenue. As enrolment
expanded, the college moved to rented facilities on Albert Street, and in 1890
to a converted house at Broadway and Edmonton Street. The college eventually
selected a permanent location in West Winnipeg on the Spence Estate near Manitoba
Casa Loma Building
644 Portage Avenue
The ground floor features two public facades for retailers with large windows.
The residential areas provide wide hallways with high ceilings. There is dark
wood accenting throughout the building’s doors and staircases. The suites
offer high ceilings and many still have Murphy Beds that are disguised as fireplaces.
216 Princess Street
A building named in memory of Thomas Scott, one of the
most controversial figures in Manitoba history.
Temple 591 Pritchard Avenue
The Ukrainian Labour Temple was built in 1918 by the Ukrainian
Labour Temple Association (ULTA).
Riel House 330
Louis Riel himself never actually resided in this house.
He visited only briefly in the summer of 1883, but it was
here that Riel's body lay in state for two days in December
of 1885 following his execution for his involvement in
the North-West Rebellion.
Citadel 221 Rupert Avenue
During December, 1886, six members of the Army arrived in depression-ridden Winnipeg
from Toronto. They were greeted at the train station with a colorful parade down
Main Street. Winnipeg was the Army’s “frontier.”
Seven Oaks House 115
John Inkster’s Red River home is one of Winnipeg’s oldest surviving
habitable houses. Built on his Kildonan farm in 1851, it was used as a private
residence for a full century before being restored and reopened in 1958 as the
Seven Oaks House Museum.
1150 Sherburn Street
Principal Sparling School was named in honour of Reverend
Dr. Joseph Walter Sparling (1842-1912), a theologian and
educator known as "the Father of Winnipeg Methodism."
Holy Trinity Church
236 Smith Street
Six years before the town of Winnipeg was incorporated, the Parish of Holy Trinity
held its first services in the Court House, outside the enclosure of the settlement
of Fort Garry.
St. Regis Hotel
285 Smith Street
In continuous use as a hotel since its construction.
Marlborough Hotel 331
The hotel has undergone several ownership and physical changes over the years,
although some original interior features remain.
(Burton Cummings Theatre) 364 Smith Street
The Walker Theatre is the oldest of Winnipeg’s three surviving grand theatres.
Officially opening in February, 1907, the Walker showcased some of the finest
pre-World War I performers from American and British stages.
Mission 119 Sutherland Avenue
After a number of moves to temporary quarters, the Methodist Sunday School purchased
the original McDougall Church in 1893. It was moved to a lot north of the CPR
station and was known as the All People’s Mission.
(Fort Osborne Barracks) 139 Tuxedo Avenue
Manitoba’s rapid growth at the turn of the century prompted the government
to support agricultural research and education. In 1894, the Department of Agriculture
had started a dairy school, followed by the establishment of the Manitoba Agricultural
College in 1903-04.
310 Vaughan Street
Isbister School, one of the first three-storey school buildings in Winnipeg is
the oldest public school building in Winnipeg.
J.H. Ashdown House
529 Wellington Avenue
The English-born James H. Ashdown was probably Winnipeg's
best-known businessman arriving in the Red River settlement
in 1868. By 1885, Ashdown had built the largest hardware
warehouse west of the Great Lakes.
(former Ralph Connor House) 54 West Gate
One of Canada’s best-selling authors, Ralph Connor, a pseudonym of Charles
Gordon, built his home in the exclusive Armstrong’s Point residential district
380 William Avenue
The provincial librarian, J. P. Robertson, wrote American
industrialist and philanthropist Andrew Carnegie for financial
assistance towards a new building.
442 William Avenue
In 1882-83, over a decade after Manitoba's separate Protestant
and Catholic school systems were established, normal teacher
training was first offered locally.
Jailhouse 444 York Avenue
Built in 1881, the Vaughan Street jail is the oldest and last remaining public
building in the city from that year still standing.