/ Greater Winnipeg / Pavilion-York
Holy Trinity Church
Enlarge text: smaller | larger
Six years before the town of Winnipeg was incorporated,
the Parish of Holy Trinity held its first services in the
Court House, outside the enclosure of the settlement of
Fort Garry. Organized by Archdeacon John McLean in 1867,
services were later held in the Red River Hall Portage
and Main. The Hudson’s Bay Company loaned land to
the Parish for its first church located near the corner
of Portage Avenue and Garry Street in 1868.
Both the town and the congregation were experiencing tremendous
growth. The Church was extended in 1870. The Parish purchased
the land from HBC in 1875 and a larger church was built.