Virtual Heritage Winnipeg
Home Contact Sitemap Search Help
Virtual Tour Gallery Vignettes Links
Greater Winnipeg

Vignettes / Greater Winnipeg / Pavilion-York

J. H. Ashdown House

Enlarge text:  smaller  |  larger

The English-born James H. Ashdown was probably Winnipeg's best-known businessman arriving in the Red River settlement in 1868. He purchased a tinsmith shop the following year, relocating his business to Main and Bannatyne in 1871. The Ashdown interest remained at this site for the next 100 years.

By 1885, Ashdown had built the largest hardware warehouse west of the Great Lakes. The Ashdown Warehouse still stands on Bannatyne Avenue, as does a retail store on Main Street at Bannatyne Avenue.





Winnipeg Map
Downtown Winnipeg Map


Year Built Heritage Status Date Material Floors/Square footage
1912-1913 NA

Tudor style

3 storeys

Original Use Present Use Address Architect
Residence Shriners Rehabilitation Centre for Children 529 Wellington Crescent J.H.G. Russell


Additional Info


Featured Images


about this site  :  credits  :  Français