/ Greater Winnipeg
Provincial Normal School
Enlarge text: smaller | larger
In 1882-83, over a decade after Manitoba's separate Protestant
and Catholic school systems were established, normal teacher
training was first offered locally. The sessions were generally
short and conducted out of rented facilities in St. Boniface,
Winnipeg and various rural centres.
Manitoba’s student enrolment was growing quickly
as a result of immigration and natural population increase.
Educators were pressured to cope with the influx of immigrants
and the natural population increase and to ensure that students
from non-English speaking households were assimilated into
the majority Anglo-Protestant culture.