/ Greater Winnipeg / Pavilion-York
Bank of Nova Scotia
(A.A. Heaps Building)
Enlarge text: smaller | larger
Prior to 1910, success had not been forthcoming for the
Bank of Nova Scotia in Winnipeg. The banks first attempt
at establishing itself was between 1881-1885, ending in
failure when they closed their doors. The bank returned
on January 3, 1899 to rented quarters in the Nares Block.
With the newly opened Bank of Commerce next door, it was
apparent that a new location was needed if it wished to
corner a share of Winnipeg’s financial market. Located
outside the perimeters of Bankers Row, the bank selected
a location at the corner of Portage and Garry with an aim
to attract the Portage Avenue businessmen.