Canada Permanent Building (Comcheq Building)
Enlarge text: smaller | larger
This red sandstone building was for many years the home
of the Canada Permanent Trust Company. Built in 1909, the
ground floor contained offices and banking facilities with
additional office space in the upper two stories. There
is a separate entrance for the second and third floors.
Shortly after the turn of the century, there was a significant
increase in real estate transactions and building construction
in Winnipeg. The city was becoming the financial center of
the Prairies. This was reflected in the number of financial
institutions that opened both head offices and regional head
offices in the city. In addition, a variety of other financial
services were also established.