Enlarge text: smaller | larger
The Manitoba Club was founded on July 16, 1874 at the
St. James Restaurant with 25 members. The first club room
was a rented space called the Red River Hall in the McDermot
Block on Main Street. These quarters went up in flames
six months later and the club moved into a rented house
across the street. The population of the city at the time
was less than 2,000.
In 1881, with the city’s population at 10,000, a new
club was built on Garry Street. The club remained in this
first-class facility for 24 years. A stained glass window
commemorating Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee (1837-1892)
had been installed at the Club House during this period.