/ The Exchange
District / Princess
Bole Drug Building
Enlarge text: smaller | larger
D.W. Bole, a Toronto-trained pharmacist, had established
his retail drug business in Regina in 1882. Expanding into
the North West Territories, John Dawson came on as a partner
and the firm added a wholesaling branch. By 1886, Dawson,
Bole and Company was primarily a wholesale drug house.
The firm moved to Winnipeg in 1890 to take advantage of access
to railway branch lines, locating its operation in the Gerrie
Block at Princess Street and William Avenue. A merger with
the E.D. Martin and Company resulted in the Martin, Bole
and Wynne Company.