Virtual Heritage Winnipeg
Home Contact Sitemap Search Help
Virtual Tour Gallery Vignettes Links
The Exchange District

Vignettes / Exchange District / Notre Dame

Electric Railway Chambers

Enlarge text:  smaller  |  larger

The Winnipeg Electric Street Railway was formed in 1892, later changing its name to the Winnipeg Electric Company in 1924. The company’s principals, William Mackenzie and capitalist James Ross had obtained an exclusive 35-year franchise to operate an electrical streetcar system in Winnipeg.

By 1906 the WERC had taken over the competing power and transportation companies in the city and were providing electricity from two main sources, a steam generating plant at Assiniboine Avenue and Main Street and a new hydro-electric plant on the Winnipeg River. The firm sold its power at steep rates and both politicians and citizens chafed at their dependence on the company’s services.






Year Built Heritage Status Date Material Floors/Square footage
1912 Municipal, 1987, grade II Sullivanesque, combines steel and concrete structure with Renaissance design, granite main floor, terra-cotta, statues top capitals, heavily ornamented windows and cornice. 11 storeys/ 88,291 above grade

Original Use Present Use Address Architect
Office building for Winnipeg Electric Railway Co. Transportation and civic development. Offices 213 Notre Dame Avenue Pratt and Ross, Charles S. Frost (Chicago)





about this site  :  credits  :  Français