/ The Exchange
District / Main
Baker Block (Birt Saddlery)
Enlarge text: smaller | larger
In 1901, local entrepreneur W.R. Baker demolished the
small hardware stores on the lot adjoining the Duffin Block,
to the south on Main Street, and erected the Baker Block.
Built of solid brick with a façade of red pressed brick,
the building contained the offices of dentists, doctors
and real estate agents. The Gundy Music Store and a jewelry
shop were located on the main floor.