/ The Exchange
Canadian Bank of Commerce
Enlarge text: smaller | larger
The Canadian Bank of Commerce was a relative latecomer
to the Winnipeg banking scene. Established in June, 1867
the bank concentrated on financing small Ontario ventures.
By 1887 the Commerce had become the leading bank in Ontario
and by 1893 had opened a rented office in the Bannatyne
Block in Winnipeg on Main Street.
Expanding interests in the West, the Commerce purchased
the Bannatyne Block and in 1900 architects Darling & Pearson
designed a monumental structure for 389 Main Street.