Virtual Heritage Winnipeg
Home Contact Sitemap Search Help
Virtual Tour Gallery Vignettes Links
The Exchange District

Vignettes / Exchange District / McDermot

Merchants/George Woods Building

Enlarge text:  smaller  |  larger

The George D. Woods Building, now known as the Merchants Building, was built in 1898 to house the wholesale hardware business of George Duncan Woods.

Woods, Vallance and Company was one of the earliest hardware companies in the west. George D. Woods had been part of his father's Hamilton hardware business which had originated in 1849. The George D. Wood & Company was an outgrowth of this firm. He moved to Winnipeg in 1880 to establish an exclusive hardware company, carrying both shelf and heavy hardware.





Year Built Heritage Status Date Material Floors/Square footage
1897-1898 Inventory Hood mold around windows, elaborate metal cornice, post and beam construction. 4 storeys/85,166 total floor space

Original Use Present Use Address Architect
Wholesale warehouse Retail/Offices/Art Gallery 250-258 McDermot Avenue and 55 Arthur Street J. H. Cadham





about this site  :  credits  :  Français