Lyon Block/Bate Building
Enlarge text: smaller | larger
William H. Lyon, had been an Indian trader before opening
a store in the Red River Settlement in 1860 to rival the
Hudson Bay Company. The business eventually required more
space as it grew into the large and prosperous wholesale
partnership of Lyon, MacKenzie and Powis.
This brick building was erected in 1883 and was well constructed,
with oversized joists and a stone foundation. A three-storey
structure designed in Romanesque style similar to other buildings
in the burgeoning warehouse district. The details and
quality of the brickwork on the Lyon Block, however, made
its design especially notable and successful.