Virtual Heritage Winnipeg
Home Contact Sitemap Search Help
Virtual Tour Gallery Vignettes Links
The Exchange District

Vignettes / The Exchange District / McDermot

Lake of the Woods House
(Mayberry Gallery)

Enlarge text:  smaller  |  larger

Opportunities had come with the building of the transcontinental railway for new businesses to store, export and process prairie agricultural produce. The high-quality Five Roses brand of flour produced from western Canadian grain helped the Lake of The Woods Milling Company become the second largest milling company in Canada at the turn of the century.

The company was established in 1887 by several Montreal investors who held interests in the CPR and wanted to increase use of the railway. The Lake of the Woods Milling Co. expanded over time to control bakeries, bag factories and rival mills throughout Canada. In 1954 most of the firm’s stock was acquired by a major competitor, the Ogilvie Flour Mills Company.


Main Gallery 1
Main Gallery 2
Main Gallery 3

Upstairs 1
Upstairs 2
Upstairs 3



Year Built Heritage Status Date Material Floors/Square footage
1901 Inventory Red brick facades with sandstone, cornice is rounded at the corners and has turret-like brick corbelling, wood post and beam frame. 2 storeys/9,318 total floor space

Original Use Present Use Address Architect
Wholesale warehouse Art Gallery 212 McDermot Avenue J.H.G. Russell





about this site  :  credits  :  Français