/ The Exchange
Customs Examining Warehouse
Enlarge text: smaller | larger
The Inland Revenue Building is a massive structure located
on the northeast corner of Rorie and McDermot. It was initially
constructed to house the Inland Revenue Branch of the Dominion
The original Customs House in Winnipeg was constructed
in 1874 at 198 Main Street. It was decided in 1907 that
a larger facility was needed and the proximity of the location
to downtown business district weighed heavily in its selection.
A "Call for Tender" was issued for the construction
of the design by the architectural staff in the Department
of Public Works, under the supervision of David Ewart,
Chief Architect. The construction tender of $270,000 was
awarded to McDiarmid Co. Ltd.