/ The Exchange
District / King
Enlarge text: smaller | larger
This office-warehouse was built in 1895 for Thomas Ryan,
a journeyman shoemaker from Perth, Ontario. Typical of
many arrivals, Ryan had arrived in Winnipeg in 1874 with
$70 in stock and a desire to improve his lot. He
soon partnered to form McFarlane and Ryan, one of the city's
first shoe merchants. Ryan purchased the business two years
later, and established Thomas Ryan Boots and Shoes.
business prospered, and in 1883 Ryan moved to a new store
at 492 Main Street, the city’s first structure featuring
all stone construction and an electric passenger elevator.