Anne (Blue Ribbon) Building and Arthur
Enlarge text: smaller | larger
Since 1882, the Galts Company had operated on Princess
Street as a wholesale grocery firm. The trend for many
wholesalers in Winnipeg who enjoyed success at the turn
of the century resulted in numerous expansions of existing
wholesale companies. James H. Cadham, received the commission
to design the new warehouse. Built in 1901, this building
housed the Blue Ribbon Manufacturing Company, a division
of the G.F. and J. Galt Company. Its subsidiary packaged
and marketed teas, coffees, spices and baking products.
When the building opened, the property extended to Arthur
Street with both building façades being identical.
In 1911, when the Blue Ribbon Company moved to larger premises,
the building was divided by a brick party wall. Both portions
became separate properties. The portion facing King Street
was taken over by a wholesale shoe and boot operation, but
was vacant through most of the Depression. In time, small
wholesale businesses leased individual floors.