Virtual Heritage Winnipeg
Home Contact Sitemap Search Help
Virtual Tour Gallery Vignettes Links
The Exchange District

Vignettes / Exchange District / Bannatyne

J.H. Ashdown Warehouse

Enlarge text:  smaller  |  larger

Built by Winnipeg’s “Merchant Prince” in 1895, the J.H. Ashdown Warehouse, remains a major urban landmark in the Exchange District. When the first portion of the massive warehouse was built, Ashdown was at the mid-point of an illustrious career that had made him a fortune. He had a major influence on the development of Winnipeg from its incorporation until his death sixty years later.

Starting out in a local tinsmith shop, Ashdown’s business grew along with the settlement.  In 1870 he purchased two lots on the corner of Main Street and Bannatyne Avenue, the location of the Ashdown retail store for over one hundred years. Ashdown’s successful real estate speculation, combined with his business acumen, made him a millionaire by 1910.





Year Built Heritage Status Date Material Floors/Square footage

Municipal, 1985, grade II

Buff brick with Selkirk stone trimming, wood post and beam construction. 6 storeys/180,402 total floor space

Original Use Present Use Address Architect

Wholesale warehouse

Condominiums 167 Bannatyne Avenue S.F. Peters, 1895; J.H.G. Russell, 1899, 1902, 1906, 1908, 1911





about this site  :  credits  :  Français