/ The Exchange
District / Albert
Reliable Service Station
Enlarge text: smaller | larger
Located on an unusual wedge of land bordered by Albert
Street, Arthur Street and Bannatyne Avenue, this property
was formerly occupied by houses during the 1890’s.
Local businessman W. J. Smith designed and built a single-storey
brick building in 1901. Built at a cost of $800, it was only
16 feet deep. The building originally housed a paint and
wallpaper shop owned by W. J. Smith with his partner W. McMaster;
and the Maple Leaf Renovating Co., which was a garment cleaning,
pressing and repair service owned by J. A. Kelly and f. R.