Enlarge text: smaller | larger
The Paris Building was once described as Winnipeg’s “most
elegantly clothed steel frame skyscraper”. The building was
erected in two stages with the first five storeys in 1915, and
the upper six in 1917. Designed by architects Northwood and Carey
of Winnipeg and constructed by Carter-Halls-Aldinger, it was built
at a price of $330,000.
The Paris Building features magnificent terra cotta ornamentation
and striking architectural design. The rental office and retail
space was graced with grey marble wainscoting and stairs, with
elegant woodwork and glass partitions between the airy, well-lit
rooms. The Paris Building was one of a group of office towers that
gradually shifted business interests away from Main Street.
Dingwall’s Jewellers and Shea’s Custom Tailors originally
occupied the first two storeys with the upper storeys housing a
variety of businesses including a number of insurance companies
and manufacturers’ agents. In recent years, many professional
offices have occupied the building. For several decades, the Western
Canada Insurance Underwriters’ Association leased the entire
Over the years, the façade on the main floor and some
of the interior features were modernized and altered, but today the
Paris Building retains its same appearance from the 1915-17 period.