Enlarge text: smaller | larger
Of the many railway buildings in Winnipeg, the crowning glory
is Union Station, which closes the vista down Broadway with its
imposing bulk and dome. Originally opened in 1911, the building
was intended by the Canadian Northern Railroad and Grand Trunk
Pacific Railroad to surpass the nearby station of the Canadian
Pacific. Winnipeg's Union Station is a shining example of Beaux
Arts architectural style.
Designed by Warren & Wetmore who were responsible for Grand
Central in New York, Union Station extends for some 350 feet along
Main Street and is not quite symmetrical, the triumphal arch entrance
being offset to close the axis of Broadway. The entrance doors
are set under a projecting decorative iron canopy. Passing through
a small intermediate space, the passenger emerges into the large
The exterior of the building is quite austere. With the exception
of detailing around the entrance and the ground floor, the facade
has a plain white limestone finish with little embellishment. The
area around the main entrance has fine detailing in the doorways,
canopy and decorative ironwork.
Of particular note is the rotunda. This large room has welcomed
thousands of immigrants and visitors to Winnipeg, it's impressive
dome alluding to the wonders that await beyond the doors. Other
than cracks in the rotunda floor, the building has survived the
years well. Platoons of soldiers marched through the station in
the 1940s. Their combined weight and rhythmic step caused the floor
to flex and break.
When railway traffic declined in Canada, Winnipeg was left with a
mostly-empty station. In recent years much of the facility has been
converted into office space. The building still serves as a VIA rail
station and the home of the Winnipeg Railway Museum.